Maria Edgeworth Centre -Self-Guided Tour
- Self-guided tour
- Hear the origins of Ireland's Hedge Schools
- How the Edgeworth's efforts to make education a government priority
- Museum contains many valuable artefacts - some dating back to the 18th Century
Maria Edgeworth Centre
Discover an immersive experience of the brilliant figure that was Maria Edgeworth.
She was guided and supported by her father Richard Lovell Edgeworth who was an inventor, surveyor and educator.
Maria became one of the most successful authors of her time.
Explore the wonderful stories pf Edgeworthstown's past and its connection that is has with historical figures such as Olive Goldsmith, Sir Walter Scott, William Wordsworth and Oscar Wilde.
There is a recreation of a 19th century school room where you can hear about:
- the origins of Ireland's Hedge Schools
- Edgeworth's efforts to make education a government priority
- Establishment of the Primary School System in 1831
The museum itself has many valuable artefacts and some are dating back to the 18th Century and the school room includes desks, school books, maps, writing copies etc.